Last Updated on May 5, 2021
Wired For Youth is supported by readers. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does not affect who we choose to review or what we recommend. Learn more
David Sedaris is an American humorist, writer, and radio contributor. He was born in Johnson City, New York, on December 26, 1956. He is the son of William Lee Sedaris, a tobacco company executive, and Renée Sedaris, a homemaker. He has a younger sister, Amy. His father is of Greek descent, and his mother is of French, English, and German ancestry. He was raised in Raleigh, North Carolina. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he received a degree in English. He moved to Chicago in 1982, and he has lived there since. He worked as an elf at Macy’s Santaland in the Christmas season of 1982. He was hired by a department store, but he was fired two weeks later. He worked as a telemarketer for five years. He began writing essays in 1985, and he published his first book, Barrel Fever, in 1994. He is a regular contributor to The New
David Sedaris is one of the most popular humorists of our time. His books are some of the most popular books around, and his essays are some of the most popular pieces of writing. He is a master of the art of humor, and he has a way of making us laugh at ourselves and our own foibles. Today, we are happy to share a list of his favorite books, so that you can get a taste of his literary preferences.
- 1 1.Our Dumb World: The Onion’s Atlas of the Planet Earth by The Onion
- 2 2.Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower
- 3 3.Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules by David Sedaris
- 4 4.The Easter Paradeby Richard Yates
- 5 5.Fraud: Essays by David Rakoff
- 6 6.Guess Again by Bernard Cooper
- 7 7.Take the Cannoli by Sarah Vowell
- 8 8.Jenny and the Jaws of Life: Short Stories by Jincy Willett
- 9 9.An Obedient Father by Akhil Sharma
- 10 10.Birds of America by Lorrie Moore
- 11 11.Among the Thugs by Bill Buford
- 12 12.Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware
- 13 13.Truth Serum by Bernard Cooper
- 14 14.Who Do You Love: Stories by Jean Thompson
- 15 15.Blue Angel by Francine Prose
- 16 16.The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks
- 17 17.The Columnist by Jeffrey Frank
- 18 18.Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
- 19 19.Is There No Place on Earth for Me? by Susan Sheehan
- 20 20.The Braindead Megaphone by George Saunders
David Sedaris’s list is a great list of books, and it’s a great list of books to read if you’re looking for a good laugh. His list includes a variety of books, so you’ll be able to find something to suit your tastes. We hope you enjoyed this list and that you’ll read these books and come up with your own list of favorites!
- Patrick Rothfuss’s Book Recommendations
- Seth Godin’s Book Recommendations
- Howard Stern’s Book Recommendations
Book summaries, notes, interviews, and more!
Get Bite-sized Lessons straight to your inbox
No spam, all value — we deliver the best bite-sized tips right to your inbox.